A Quick Six with Spring Sports Senior Henry Lyons

Roberto Baquerizo, Staff Reporter

Head Coach Kevin Hunt and the Trinity fishing team will compete this week at the KHSAA State Championship meet at Kentucky Lake. The team qualified three boat teams based on results at the KHSAA Region 2 competition, held at Lake Cumberland.  Qualifiers were Eli Dickerson/Cameron Bryant, Landon Elder/Tyler Summers and Porter Conover/Luke Wissing.
Team member senior Henry Lyons answered some questions about his fishing career.

Q: Why did you begin competing in fishing?

A: I began taking fishing more competetively  sometime between the seventh and eighth grade. I figured that if I learned early whether I liked tournaments, I could more easily decide whether or not to join the fishing team.

Q: How is the season going so far?  

A: The season went well this year. We had two tournaments in the fall, with one getting cancelled due to weather. We’ve had two tournaments this spring, and they both were fantastic days for fishing.

Q: What is your part on the team and what skills does that require?   

A: I’d say all team members have a similar part to play. The only difference is whether or not they are boaters or co-anglers, which just says whether or not they own a boat. I am a boater, which means I fish on my boat with one other co-angler on the back deck. 

(Retreat) taught me more in those four days than a whole semester at any Ivy League could ever teach me. I’ll always value that week more than any week ever.

— Trinity senior Henry Lyons

Q: What has been your favorite memory on the team?

A: My favorite memory on the team was last year’s regional tournament on Lake Cumberland. We stayed three nights at Timber Pointe Resort, and all 12 of us stayed up and played basketball, lit a fire and told stories. Every year it’s a memorable experience. It just gets more fun every year.

Q: In what way do you plan to continue your sport after your high school career?

A: Honestly, I don’t see myself fishing tournaments for a while after I graduate. As fun as it is being on the team, I’ve gotten used to the competitive side of fishing, and that side only. After graduation, I’ll only be fishing for pleasure for a few years. Ill get back into the tournament side of things later on after college.

Q: What is your fondest memory of Trinity High School?

A: Senior retreat has easily been my favorite Trinity memory. It was the most meaningful week of my life. It taught me more in those four days than a whole semester at any Ivy League could ever teach me. I’ll always value that week more than any week ever.