Trinity’s hockey family legacy begins with the name Gustafson

Ryan Cywinski, Staff Reporter

While high school football and basketball take the main stage in Kentucky, there are some in the area who eat, sleep and breathe the sport of hockey.  The Gustafson family is the perfect example of this.

Head coach Mark Gustafson, a co-founder of the Trinity hockey team in 2000, has been on the coaching staff for 14 years.  Through these years, he has also had the unique experience of coaching each of his three sons.  Eric Gustafson (2005 Trinity graduate), Andrew Gustafson (2008), and current senior Ryan Gustafson have created a legacy within the Rocks’ hockey program that may not be equaled.

Mark Gustafson has an impressive background in hockey. “I grew up in the Chicagoland area and I started playing hockey when I was five years old,” he said. “I played high school hockey at St. Viator, college hockey at Harper, and I played junior hockey with the Chicago Nordiques.”

Gustafson’s three sons have been an important part of his coaching career at Trinity.

When asked his favorite memory of coaching his sons, Gustafson, who is retiring from coaching after this season, said, “I got to see my older two win a state championship (in 2005) together when Eric was a senior and Andrew was a freshman, and Andrew scored the winning goal in the state final.  As Andrew scored the game-winning goal, his brother was the first one off the bench to greet him.  That was very memorable.”

Gustafson takes pride in the teams he has coached, and it’s clear that his players appreciate his work, too.  Senior Conor Byrne said he admires “how much (coach Gustafson) loves the program and how much he tries to do for the program.”

Gustafson said his youngest son, Ryan, got his start with Trinity’s hockey program far before he entered high school.

Trinity ice hockey head coach Mark Gustafson (back row, far left) and Ryan Gustafson (back row, fourth from the left) were part of last year's team, which reached the state championship game.
Trinity ice hockey head coach Mark Gustafson (back row, far left) and Ryan Gustafson (back row, fourth from the left) were part of last year’s team, which reached the state championship game.

“He’s had a hockey stick in his hand since he was probably three years old,” Gustafson said.

At the age of seven, Ryan would go to practices, becoming the team’s unofficial water boy.  In addition, he would work the penalty box during games.  He also took advantage of all the time he spent around the team by bonding with both of his brothers and his dad.

Of favorite early memories, Ryan said, “Going to the Columbus Tournament with just me, my dad, and Andrew at the time, and then it turned into just me and my dad.  Those were really good memories.  Just him and I would have a father-son weekend.’’

Though Ryan thoroughly enjoys playing under his father as coach, he admits that there are some added pressures to being the coach’s son.  “You are always put on a higher pedestal,” Ryan said.

One might wonder how three young boys grew up to be such passionate hockey players in a place like Kentucky, which is not usually known for the sport.  Gustafson said, “They played every sport. They played football, basketball, soccer, baseball — and they just really liked ice hockey.”

With hockey in their blood, living in a family with three players can lead to some brotherly competition.  “Us three boys always compete and give each other a hard time on everything,”said Ryan, who added that the game also brings them closer as a family.

Ryan has had much to live up to.  Eric and Andrew were outstanding players, and Ryan is as well.  Last season he broke Trinity’s record for most goals scored in a single season with 54.  He went on to make All-State First Team, along with 2014 graduate Taylor Burdorf.

When asked about his favorite memory while playing for Trinity’s hockey team he answered, “Probably the hat-trick I scored on my 17th birthday against Owensboro, with the huge crowd we had.  That was probably one of the best games I played all season.”

There’s little doubt the Gustafsons have left their mark on Trinity hockey.