It’s Always Safety First at Trinity

Jack Tompkins, Staff Reporter

The day was April 20, 1999. The place was Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo. Eighteen-year-old Eric Harris and 17-year-old Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and wounded more than 20.

“The crime was the worst high school shooting in U.S. history and prompted a national debate on gun control and school safety,” according to history.com. Since then, there have be more than 242 school shootings.

Senior Jack Tompkins
Senior Jack Tompkins

In November 2015, Trinity was put on full alert when the staff was notified by the St. Matthews Police Department that two suspects of a shooting were on the loose near the campus.

Students were immediately urged to stay indoors and not leave their classrooms unless it was absolutely vital. Although the incident in November was no Columbine or Virgnia Tech situation, Trinity officials and staff worked with the St. Matthews police to ensure the safety of everyone on campus.

Even though this situation was not critical, Trinity showcased its ability to act fluidly and remain calm during  intense circumstances.   

I feel like students would be prepared because of the plan that teachers have for us.

— Trinity freshman Michael Jackie

Co-Student Affairs Director Joe Henning commented on the school’s safety plan: “It keeps evolving. Most of that happens because of what we learn or what is suggested to us by professionals. Mr. (Dave) Aberli (co-director) and I work together and discuss things that we read about or see in the news and attend seminars to better adjust our school’s safety plan.

“At the end of every school year, we review our school’s safety plan and armed-intruder plan with the St. Matthews Police Department and professionals.”

Recently, for example, Trinity worked with the St. Matthews police to check the school grounds, making sure that it is not easy for an intruder to hide on campus.

“People need to be vigilant,” Henning said. “Students need to notice if someone looks out of place, if someone is just wandering the halls, if they hear something or see something on social media, or even just have a bad feeling about something. (They should) tell a teacher or adult.

“The idea of practicing all of (the school’s) safety drills is for students to have an idea of what to do when the time comes to act during a critical situation.”

Freshman Michael Jackie said he feels like he would be prepared for a hazardous situation.

He said, “I feel like students would be prepared because of the plan that teachers have for us.”

Jackie said he feels like Trinity is a safe environment. The locks and alarms definitely make Jackie feel more secure.

Senior Noah Means-Simonsen said, “ I feel comfortable at Trinity — feels like home. I trust the teachers. You’ve made that comfortable bond with them. You know that they are going to take care of you.”

Trinity’s serious approach to serious situations works, according to teacher Mr. Parker Whitehouse.

Whitehouse said, “It comes in the relationship you build with the students and the expectations that you have of them. I think making them equal partners in the safety of the school, more than just those who are required to tag along on emergency drills, really benefits Trinity as a whole.”

We all hope and pray for a safe world, but we must be prepared for all possible scenarios. Trinity is well prepared and has an excellent, well-trained staff on hand for any emergency, as well as great resources to assure the safety of all.

Trinity, along with the St. Matthews Police Department, assures students to remain safe and always feel comfortable to alert an adult if they are aware of any incident that may lead to a critical situation. Stay safe, Trinity.