The student news site of  Trinity High School

ECHO

• Opening Mass - August 23
  • Freshman Academic Convocation - August 15
  • First day of classes - August 8
  • New Student Day - August 7
  • Book Day 2024 - August 5

ECHO

ECHO

Polls

Which breakfast item is best?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Trinity’s Black Student Union Aims for Companionship

A couple of years ago, Trinity created its own Black Student Union (BSU). The club is all about making friends and finding your place at Trinity, and around the community.

The BSU is open to all students of every grade level. The club meets on Thursdays, about once a month, during advising. At meetings, a wide range of things happen: From talking to other club members and making connections, to having speakers from around the community come in and talk about careers that other BSU members have taken. The BSU also has had people from the Alumni Association come to talk about what the Black Student Union means to them and opportunities that come with it. They are currently trying to work on out-of-school events, too.

Betsy DeGolian is one of the current co-moderators of this club. She teaches African American history and has served as our school librarian for years. “Mr. Greenwell (who left last year) and I kind of saw a need for it.” DeGolian wants to provide students with the opportunity to come together and benefit from each other. The other current co-moderator of this club is Coach Tyler Robertson. He also teaches and coaches here at Trinity. “I had noticed there had been other schools than had done it… once ours started up I decided to jump in and help the guys out.” Robertson liked what the BSU did and wanted to be involved.

The Black Student Union isn’t just a club for the moderators. “I am extremely proud of Trinity’s BSU and what it means for creating a welcoming environment for all students,” DeGolian said. Robertson and DeGolian have also made connections and relationships with students, alumni, and other people from around the community that wouldn’t be possible without BSU. Trinity’s Black Student Union has provided many students an environment where they can embrace themselves, make friends, and learn more about what the BSU has to offer in the future.