The student news site of  Trinity High School

ECHO

• Opening Mass - August 23
  • Freshman Academic Convocation - August 15
  • First day of classes - August 8
  • New Student Day - August 7
  • Book Day 2024 - August 5

ECHO

ECHO

Polls

Which breakfast item is best?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Drug Testing: Steps to Eliminate Drug Use in High School

Trinity High School is known for many things, one of them being the many ways it forms men of character. One way Trinity does this is the drug testing system. Many people have questions about the process, reasoning, and help offered in the drug testing program. Randy Perkins, teacher and dean of students, shares more information about the Trinity drug testing system.

Drug testing at Trinity was implemented in 2015, which was Perkins’ second year at the school. “There was a concern that we weren’t doing all that we could to help support students as they move through high school,” said Perkins. At the time of the idea to implement a student drug test, there was a rise in illicit drug use throughout the student body. The random drug testing program was then put into use and students started getting the help they may not have been getting before.

The process of the drug testing system is meant to help a students and uplift them to think about their health and get help swiftly. Perkins said, “It was truly a support for everyone.” The process begins when a grade (9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th) is selected from a generator. Then, 20 names from that grade are chosen on that said day during advising. “When they come down, they sign off on paperwork that just matches up their student ID number to them,” said Perkins. Most Thursdays the nurse will send in all the tests from the week and wait for the result. “Usually, if it is going to be a negative test, meaning no detection of anything drug-related, we’ll get it within 72 hours. If it is going to be a positive result, it takes a few days longer,” said Perkins when asked about the timeline after the test.

To answer any questions students may have: the drug testing program is in place to assist students and families. Through this program, it hopefully will help students think about their actions while also helping alert others if a student is ever in need.

View Comments (1)