Set the Date: Total Eclipse Incoming

Set the Date: Total Eclipse Incoming

Trinity teachers Seth Blakeslee and Michael Budniak are leading a trip to see the upcoming total eclipse. The field trip is set to be Monday, April 8th  (the first day after spring break) and the group is headed to Ferdinand, Indiana — specifically, the Monastery of the Immaculate Conception (home of the Sisters of St. Benedict). It only costs $36 to be included, but space is limited, so contact Blakeslee or Budniak if you are interested.

Blakeslee is looking forward to this trip, being that eclipses are not events that occur often. The last that Kentucky experienced was in 2017. Blakeslee remarked that he is “looking forward to seeing darkness in the middle of the day.” Blakeslee commented on the other eclipses that he has witnessed in his life: One occurred while he was in grade school, as well as one in 2017. What makes this one special is that it is a total eclipse, meaning that in certain areas of Kentucky there will be total darkness.

So which group of students is this available for? Everyone. Any and all students are welcome to join on this trip. Blakeslee mentioned possible interest for current physics students that have been studying planetary motion and universal gravitation would take a special interest. Current biology students, or anyone who is interested in biology would take an interest. Blakeslee mentioned the effects that the eclipse can have on animals and their natural sleep cycles.

Students are not the only people who can take interest in this. While not being able to attend the field trip, faculty around the building can also get a lot out of viewing the eclipse. Blakeslee remarked on the true rarity of a total eclipse, and that everyone should take the time to go and view it.

So why has Blakeslee taken the time to set this up? He credits a group that he is in called The Faith and Science Dialogue Group. He said that during a discussion with his group, he became inspired to pass the experience on to Trinity students. He then brought the idea back to the science department at Trinity, where the field trip really gained traction. He credits Budniak for helping to set up the actual trip, stating, “Mr. Budniak, of course, stepped in, and he’s got so much experience organizing trips.”

A total eclipse is something that hardly ever occurs. This is a great opportunity to have a once in a lifetime opportunity, and to make a memory that will last a lifetime. Again, if you are interested in taking this trip, contact Blakeslee or Budniak for more information.