Taekwondo Black Belt Bynum Eyes Olympic Trials

Senior+Jackson+Bynum+demonstrates+taekwondo+moves+with+senior+Nick+Mattinglys+assistance.+

photo by Justin DePrado

Senior Jackson Bynum demonstrates taekwondo moves with senior Nick Mattingly’s assistance.

Nick Mattingly, Staff Reporter

He didn’t know. He didn’t know he would train five times a week for more than a decade. He didn’t know it would allow him to travel across the country. He didn’t know he’d receive awards for his superior ability. He didn’t know it would give him an opportunity to represent his country on an international stage. But that’s what it did. That’s what a simple trip with his classmate to the American Martial Arts Academy did.

Trinity senior Jackson Bynum was in kindergarten when he made that trip, but it took only a glimpse of the high-flying Korean martial art to convince him that taekwondo was exciting. Taekwondo is a melting pot of several different fighting styles and is unique in its significant use of high and low kicking compared to most other fighting forms.  

As the distances Bynum has traveled have grown, so too have the importance and prestige of the tournaments. One thing that hasn’t changed is his level of success. As his finishes in nationwide competitions have continued to be consistently high, Bynum’s most impressive accomplishments include a third place at the Pan American Championships event, four consecutive third-place finishes at nationals, and a first-place finish at the United States Open.

The art grabbed Bynum and made him want to work harder than he had before at any sport.  Before long Bynum couldn’t stop, training up to six days a week for several hours each session. He continued to work hard over the years and moved through the belt system, which contains 11 belts, starting with white and ending in black.

Eventually, Bynum received his black belt, a culmination of 12 long years of hard work, dedication and discipline. He poured sweat and blood into the journey, even breaking his hand once and his foot twice.

This, however, wasn’t the end of taekwondo for Jackson. It was instead the beginning of a new and long challenge to move up the ranks of black belts, of which there are nine.  Bynum is now working on the requirements  to receive his second-degree black belt, for which he must accumulate many hours as a teacher’s assistant before becoming a full-time teacher, needed to earn his third-degree black belt.  Jackson is also required to learn new forms and moves to integrate into his arsenal as an advanced student.

As he was working toward his black belt, Jackson began participating in competitions. The competitions varied in the difficulty and skill level of the competitors, but they all used the nationwide taekwondo form called Olympic style. Olympic style matches two competitors who must face off in a battle of toughness and endurance. Each match consists of three two-minute rounds with 30-second breaks in between.  This ensures competitors have put in enough work, practicing form and getting themselves in peak physical condition.

Bynum started in local competitions around the city and state, but as he racked up accolades, it soon became clear his talent was special. With full parental support, Bynum competed in states across the country. Though she supports him, Bynum’s mom does find it hard to endure the significant amount of violence and even bloodshed at these events.

The competitions across the country started with nearby states and eventually stretched all the way to Florida. Jackson estimates he’s won a competition in almost every state. The most intensive training goes on before statewide tournaments, which are qualifiers for national and even international tournaments.

As the distances Bynum has traveled have grown, so too have the importance and prestige of the tournaments. One thing that hasn’t changed is his level of success. As his finishes in nationwide competitions have continued to be consistently high, Bynum’s most impressive accomplishments include a third place at the Pan American Championships event, four consecutive third-place finishes at nationals, and a first-place finish at the United States Open.

Instead of growing complacent, Jackson is hungry for bigger success, on bigger stages. That next stage is the international level.  Jackson competed this past summer for a chance to represent the US in the World Championships. For the first time, he competed in the adult category, which consisted of teens his age all the way up to 35-year-old men. Bynum finished just one spot short of making the team.

Despite this setback, Bynum is training as hard as ever and is adding to his arsenal by learning judo. His eyes are set on being prepared when the time Olympic trials arrive.  Bynum may have not known where taekwondo was going to take him, but he sure does now.

Watch as Jackson Bynum practices his taekwondo moves against ECHO reporter Nick Mattingly.  (video by Justin DePrado)