Key for Class of 2018 is ADJUSTMENT

Ryan Kelly, Editor in Chief

Adjustment is the key word for the 314 students who began their Trinity careers as the Class of 2018.  That first day back in mid-August amounted to 314 first days, for many an exciting and nerve-racking experience.

Trinity freshman Grant Carstanjen
Trinity freshman Grant Carstanjenk
Trinity freshman Declan Carroll
Trinity freshman Declan Carroll

Each freshman’s first day was unique. The teachers they had may have been different, and they may have sat at different lunch tables, but they all had one thing in common: that first day began a foundation for the next four years at Trinity.

No matter the reason they came to Trinity, whether it was an awesome shadow day or superior academics and sports, the freshmen have been adjusting to what will be their home away from home for the next four years. As they make this adjustment, the freshmen are coming to new realizations and learning new things every day.

Trinity Advanced Program counselor Dr. Aaron Striegel pointed out a major necessity for freshmen: “Being able to manage their time between sports and other activities, and balancing that with their academic work.”

Striegel said one major problem for freshmen is that “they have the misconception that with block schedule, they have two days to do homework.”

Striegel recommended working ahead.  “That way you’re not caught turning something in late or forgetting about something,” he said.

How have the freshmen fared in the first five weeks of school? Faculty and students alike cited the need to adjust to doing homework and staying organized.

Trinity freshman Jonathan Endicott
Trinity freshman Jonathan Endicott

Freshman Grant Carstanjen said, “In middle school I didn’t really have to be, but here if I’m not organized, I will miss assignments and not do well.”

Fellow freshman Jonathan Endicott agreed with Carstanjen, saying that the increase in the amount of homework was definitely the biggest adjustment for him.

In contrast, Declan Carroll spoke of how much easier it is to get homework done with block scheduling and advising periods.

Upperclassmen may remember some problems getting around at first — and how easy it was to get lost. Freshman Nick Cardosi said it’s been hard just getting where he needs to be and then dealing with lockers on top of everything else.

Ms. Mary Ann Hall, Trinity’s Learning Support Program coordinator, emphasized how organization goes beyond the classroom.  “Trinity is like a small college campus, and it takes adjustment to get from one place to another,“ Hall said.

Everything from no girls in class to the long walk from the Marshall Center to Sheehan Hall, the Class of 2018 is adjusting and starting to figure out high school. As each week passes, the late nights doing homework and getting lost in the hallways have become less common, instead being replaced by cheering in the student section at football games, having  lunches with their new friends and enjoying their favorite classes.