Teachers and Students Weigh In on the BIG Adjustment

Connor Rafferty, Staff Reporter

Trinity teacher Mr. Jason Rand
                                                                     photo by Jacob Travelstead
Trinity teacher Mr. Jason Rand

Making the transition from middle school to high school can be difficult and scary. Doing more homework, making new friends, and dealing with greater expectations from teachers are just a few of the worries a high school freshman must deal with.

Trinity teachers and students alike were eager to weigh in on ways to succeed in high school.

Ms. Missy Clay teaches English to freshmen. She is also the director of Becket House and is coach of the future problem solvers team. A seasoned veteran when it comes to dealing with students of all grades, she was happy to share her observations on how freshmen handle the adjustment to high school.

The more than 300 new students each year come in with unique backgrounds. Clay cited some of the differences.

“The main thing is that since they come from various schools, they all have something different,” she said. “Some who have not had good teachers come in lost. Some have had great teachers. Some come in thinking they can get away with anything. Some come in thinking they can’t do anything.”

One of the big concerns many freshmen have is the increased amount of homework. Clay said the majority of students adjust well to the amount of work assigned. She smiled and said, “They complain — but when do they not complain?”

Clay said the most difficult thing about teaching freshmen is “dealing with the ones that are super immature. Sometimes the immaturity is a little difficult.”

Clay enjoys helping the youngest on campus make the adjustments needed to succeed.  She said, “The most fun is that they make me laugh. They are so goofy, and we have such fun. I love ‘em; there’s nothing else I can say.”

I thought (high school) was going to be really hard and different, but all the teachers help. It’s not as hard as I thought it would be.

— Trinity freshman Jacob Dziedzik

Her most valuable piece of advice for incoming freshmen is something that even seniors have trouble doing. She tells her students to “write everything down, and to write it in their planners — not in their electronics. They can do that in addition (to the planner). (They need to) get used to writing it in the planner and looking at it every night. Writing crystallizes everything in your head — electronics not so much.”

Mr. Jason Rand teaches algebra and is a 2005 Trinity graduate. He also coaches the quick recall team with Mr. Amick. Rand pointed out the different level of expectations freshmen face.

“Freshmen are still used to being coddled a little bit from their grade school days,” he said, “and they are not used to having to go speak to their teacher after school for things, having to get their work on their own if they miss a day. (Freshman year) is just getting used to being more independent and self-motivated.”

When asked about the difference between disciplining freshmen and upperclassmen, Rand said: “At first the freshmen are a little more timid and scared. They don’t know anyone. Juniors have been together typically for three years, so you’ve got to watch who you sit together quicker in a junior class or a senior class than you would in a freshman class.”

It’s cool getting to know everyone versus just the same people I’ve known for eight years.

— Trinity freshman Frederick Ott

Rand’s favorite thing about teaching freshmen is that they “don’t have many bad habits — yet.”

Rand urges his young students to take charge outside the classroom. He tells them, “Don’t be afraid to talk to your teachers if you are struggling in class or if you need homework help. We’re not that big and scary, and even the big, scary ones will help you out.”

Freshmen Frederick Ott and Jacob Dziedzic offered their impressions of the school year so far.

Both Ott and Dziedzic have enjoyed making friends.

“It’s cool getting to know everyone versus just the same people I’ve known for eight years,” Ott said.

Dziedzic said, “It is easier to make friends because everyone is open to other people.”

Both said the transition to high school was not as difficult as expected.

“I thought (high school) was going to be really hard and different,” Dziedzic said, “but all the teachers help. It’s not as hard as I thought it would be.

Dziedzic said the amount of homework assigned has gone up, but the classwork is more interesting. Ott finds his homework amount to vary, with some days being light and others being heavy.

Both members of the Class of 2019 chose advising as their favorite thing about Trinity. They like that it offers students time to study, complete homework and see teachers to make up tests and go over material, as well as get to know other students.

Check out the Class of 2019 enjoying Rockin’, an annual House competition. Video by Editor Ryan Cywinski.