Shamrock Talent Aplenty as ‘The Miser’ Rehearsals Continue

Trinity sophomore Jack Wolfram will play  Cleante, the protagonist’s son in The Miser.

photo by Zach Brumback

Trinity sophomore Jack Wolfram will play Cleante, the protagonist’s son in “The Miser.”

Kaizad Joshi, Staff Reporter

Trinity senior Patrick Schmitt and Sacred Heart sophomore Emily Richardson rehearse for the upcoming production of Moliere's "The Miser."
photo by Michael Hellinger
Trinity senior Patrick Schmitt (Valere) and Mari Philpot (Elise) rehearse for the upcoming production of Moliere’s “The Miser.”

Rehearsals and set construction are in full swing as Trinity’s dedicated Department of Theatre Arts prepares to present Moliere’s “The Miser,” premiering on Nov. 10 and running through Nov. 22.

For decades, under the direction of Artistic Director William P. Bradford II, Trinity’s theatre program has presented challenging and entertaining productions. But what makes this play unique?

According to junior Loui Chang, a member of Trinity theatre since his freshman year, “different actors bring new understandings and interpretations of the same character, which makes each play different.” Chang most notably played Harry Witherspoon in last year’s production of “Lucky Stiff.” This year, he portrays La Fleche (French for “the nose”) in “The Miser,” produced by Mr. C.J. Rush.

To sophomore Jack Wolfram, the play is a chance to put his own spin on his character. With his first ventures into acting in last year’s “All in the Timing” and “Lucky Stiff”(portraying an English Solicitor in the first and a Bellhop in the latter), Wolfram is hoping to take more creative liberty “now that I have the experience.” The character he’ll portray is Cleante, the protagonist’s son.

Emily Richardson, a Sacred Heart sophomore, was just happy the play was easier to prepare for than the musical “Lucky Stiff.”  She said, “The play is probably easier to memorize because with musicals you have to memorize your dance moves and your songs along with your lines.”

Richardson has been in theatrical performances since grade school and also performed in “Lucky Stiff” as a boarder lady and a southern woman. This year, she plays the role of Frosine in “The Miser.”

Why is the plot of this play interesting? When asked about this, the actors were hesitant with details, for fear of accidental spoilers. Some details were gleaned, however, such as this analogy to “A Christmas Carol” drawn by Chang: “Harpagon, the main character, is similar to Scrooge. Both of them have a character of avarice, and the whole play is built around that.”

Who would enjoy this sort of play? Chang said both teenagers and adults will understand and appreciate the humor.

Richardson pointed out another unique aspect to “The Miser.” She said, “The show has contemporary values, like the crunch in the economy. It kind of plays with the relationship between a father and his kids and how hard it can be to raise them after the mother is gone. He (Harpagon) says he’s trying to make ends meet even though he’s got all the money he needs.”

The fact that the play is satirical high comedy rather than a musical also meant some different things to the cast.

Wolfram, who has enjoyed comedy since he was a kid, stated this kind of play is “something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Richardson cited the challenge of getting into character. She said, “In comedy you have to be able to step outside of your character to help better your performance.”

Richardson pointed out a lesson from Bradford: “In tragedy, you have to get into your character, and you play that character, but in comedy you get into your character and kind of look inside looking out, to develop your character and see their motives and tactics.”

While getting into character will be a bit of a chore, Richardson believes the play’s comedic value will be appreciated by everyone. She said, “I think that this play is funnier than the last one. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Lucky Stiff’ was hilarious, but this one has a few more jokes in it.”

With the play opening in less than a month, it would appear “The Miser” will provide a generous helping of talent.

Check out two video clips of “The Miser” rehearsal. Videos by Editor in Chief Tommy McConville.