Many Talents Shared with Many Students

photo by Jacob Travelstead

Trinity teacher Mr. Joseph Chittissery Mathai serves as moderator of five clubs.

Axel Halvarson, Staff Reporter

It’s not unusual for teachers to oversee one club, maybe two. Few are moderators of five clubs! Trinity science teacher Mr. Joseph Chittissery Mathai does just that.

Not only is he a physics teacher, Mr. C.M., as he is known, moderates groups of students involved in Ping Pong, cricket, aviation, electronics, and ACE mentoring  (architecture/ engineering).

Some of the clubs he works with involve solving problems. Such is the case with the Electronics Club’s work with broken televisions or old computers. Mr. C.M. enjoys giving students examples and letting them put the information to work.

“I like to see students fix a problem with my guidance,” he said.

The ACE Mentoring group recently built the Shamrock Grill, which rests between Marshall Stadium and the Marshall Center weight room.   “We have also built for the city of St. Matthews,” Mr. C.M. said.

Mr. C.M. also helps students with an interest in flying. The Aviation Club has taken off and is into its second year.  The club uses a flight simulator in Mr. C.M.’s classroom, along with taking trips to Bowman Field Airport to fly planes.

Senior Brad Koenig, a club member for two years, said Mr. C.M. is a great motivator and “gets kids interested in flying.”

Ping Pong is another interest of Mr. C.M. , a hobby he enjoys. He leads the school’s popular club, along with the intramural Ping Pong tournaments.  Mr. C.M. became involved with the club in 2006 when he arrived at Trinity. He also enjoys participating in some of the Ping Pong matches. “I have always loved the game, and I’m pretty good, too,” he said.

Mr. C.M. has been all around the world.  He graduated from a university in India and has taught at schools in India as well as the United Arab Emirates. From his birthplace, Mr C.M. has brought cricket, one of their national sports, to Trinity.  After school, either in a gym, the convocation hall or out on the football field, students will play cricket matches, with and against Mr. C.M.

Of all of these different activities, Mr. C.M. said he does not prefer one over the others. He said, “I do not have a favorite. They are all hobbies and interests of mine.”

Check out Aviation Club students using a flight simulator in Mr. C.M.’s classroom.   Videos by Jacob Travelstead