Answers About the Gold Cup

Damarcus Wilson, Staff Reporter

photo by Damarcus Wilson
Trinity teacher/counselor Mr. Mike Magre holds the Elijah Cup and information about the program.

Trinity students have been wondering about a mysterious gold chalice moving around the school.

Here are some answers.  The chalice is called the Elijah Cup. Teachers receive the cup weekly in a rotation they sign up for, and they receive a binder of readings and prayers to read aloud to the class for the week. The cup is then passed on to the next teacher in the  rotation.

Campus store manager Mrs. Sue Mattingly also signed up for the program. Mattingly was one of the first to participate.

Teacher/counselor Mr. Mike Magre said, “The main goal of this program is to raise awareness.” The focus on the cup is intended to remind everyone about the importance of the clergy and vocations.   

The cup is a symbol for the whole community. What it represents is significant. If we all share in the same prayers, it helps bring us into a community.

— Trinity teacher Mr. Keith Rapp

The program was started at Trinity by Mr. Bernie Schum, who got the idea at a theological convention he attended. The program originally started in local parishes when families would request the cup and have it at their homes.

The readings and prayers Schum uses are from Elijah, the Book of Kings and other sources.

Magre spoke about the significance of the cup, saying it was to raise awareness about vocations and the importance of prayer.  He said, “This program is focused on faith. It’s about what we can do as a calling from Jesus.”

Also in the program is a journal that has writings from teachers, written when they had the cup. Writings include reports of how the week went with the cup, the students’ reactions and how it affected the classroom throughout the week.

Magre said, “I hope to continue this program for a long time.”

Trinity teacher Mr. Keith Rapp also signed up for the Elijah Cup. He said during the week the cup was in his room, his classes were more attentive and more respectful.

Rapp, who uses prayer daily in his classes, said, “The cup is a symbol for the whole community. What it represents is significant. If we all share in the same prayers, it helps bring us into a community.”

Assistant Campus Minister Mr. Chris Luken said, “Vocation is a large part of who we are as Catholics.”