Mr. Sysol Honored for ‘Excellence in Teaching’

Trinity teacher Mr. Greg Sysol
Trinity teacher Mr. Greg Sysol

Trinity teacher Mr. Greg Sysol H’03 was honored for “Excellence in Teaching” at the St. Matthews Chamber of Commerce Community Pride Awards Banquet.

The nomination for Sysol read:

A veteran member of Trinity High School’s teaching faculty, Greg Sysol has had an immeasurable impact on our learning community and beyond.  Over the course of his long tenure, Greg has been integrally involved in service at Trinity and in the wider community.

Greg was born in Brooklyn in 1951 and raised in the New York City area. He earned his BA in English from the University of Kentucky in 1974, and an MA in English from the University of Illinois in 1975. After a four-year stint as an electronics buyer for P.A. Bergner’s Department Stores in Illinois (1975-79), he began teaching at Trinity in the fall of 1979 and has never left.

Over a 37-year career in teaching, he has taught English, Communication Skills, Speech, Video Production, Broadcast Journalism, Art History, Music History, Theatre History, Technical Theatre Production and ACT test strategies to more than 4,500 students – freshmen through seniors – traditional, academic, honors and advanced placement levels at the school.

Some of the highlights of his service to Trinity include:

• Chairperson of Trinity’s Department of Theatre Arts from 1985 until 2004 and again from 2007-2010
  • Chairperson of Trinity’s Humanities Department (Communication and Performing Arts Department) for 18 years
  • Producer of more than 80 plays, musicals, vocal and instrumental productions
  • Technical director and resident set, sound and lighting designer for more than 50 Trinity Performing Arts productions
  • With Father Ron Domhoff, began “Trinity Television,” the school’s audio-visual system for making announcements, in 1991
  • Designed current Trinity TV studio and installed all the equipment in 2001
  • Produced more than 4,000 daily television shows of Trinity Television (TTV) and numerous community television programs
  • Named Trinity’s first Director of Activities serving from 1994 to 2001
  • Investment Club Moderator for more than 10 years
  • Over 20 years as a member of Trinity’s Faculty Senate and served as president of Trinity’s Faculty Senate, sitting on the Trinity School Board on three different occasions
  • Trinity Moderator of the Year (2002)
  • Named an Honorary Alumnus of Trinity High School (2003)
  • 25 years of service to Trinity Theatre program salute (2009)

Some of the highlights of his service to the wider community include:

• Started Grade School Quick Recall Tournament (TQR) started Non-Public School Quick Recall League (1988)
  • Kentucky Colonel – Appointed April 1995 (recognized for work with Kentucky Children in the Governor’s Cup Academic Competitions)
  • St. Albert the Great School Board (2013-16)
  • Coca-Cola Talent Competition judge, Kentucky State Fair (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010)
  • Outstanding Education Award, Kentucky Governor’s Scholars Program (1996, 1998, 2002)
  • Jefferson County Champions for Children Award (2002, 2003)
  • Video work for VIPS (Visually Impaired Preschool Service); Habitat for Humanity; Boy Scouts of America
  • 35+ years of service in Catholic education